For more in-depth questions, visit the folks at the reference desk.
Few answers will elude our crackerjack reference team. The reference desk is also the best place to request materials from libraries outside of our partner group. It is located on the east end of the Library.
Services available at the MPL Reference Desk
MPL is a recognized US Passport Acceptance Facility. Call (406)721-BOOK (2665) or drop by the Reference Desk at MPL to make an appointment or to learn more about this service. We accept passport applications up to one hour before closing. Appointments are recommended.
Applicants should bring with them:
- completed application, written in black ink (available in-house or at travel.state.gov)
- passport photo taken within last 6 months
- Citizenship evidence (e.g., original birth certificate, certified copy of birth certificate, birth abroad certificate, or a previous passport)
- Current photo identification (e.g., driver's license, passport, military ID)
- Other original, pertinent documents (e.g. marriage/divorce papers to explain name difference from a birth certificate, custody papers of a single parent)
- Fees - a personal check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State, see travel.state.gov for current fees. Note: Separate payments must be made to the U.S. Department of State for each application submitted. One payment (cash, check, money order or credit/debit card) to Missoula Public Library for the execution fee(s) is acceptable.
Both parents or guardians as well as the minor applicant must be present to process the application of a minor age 15 or younger. Otherwise, a notarized affidavit granting permission from an absent parent or guardian or evidence of sole custody is required.
Renewals are not processed by acceptance facilities. We are happy to look over your renewal application for completeness.
MPL offers free notarization services to the general public. If you need a notarization, drop by the MPL Reference Desk or call (406)721-BOOK (2665) to find out if an MPL notary is available to assist you.
Reference staff at MPL are qualified to proctor or administer exams for students taking distance learning courses. There is no charge to proctor exams. Call (406)721-BOOK (2665) and ask for the Reference Desk to access this service. (Reservations are encouraged)
The Reference Desk can assist you with ordering an Interlibrary Loan.
Genealogy and historical research
The Reference Desk at MPL can assist you with your research into family history, research into the history of Montana or any other research topics that interest you. We have a complete list of available online genealogical resources, including databases that MPL subscribes to, as well as online resources on a variety of other topics. But for one-on-one service, come visit the MPL Reference Desk and speak with one of our skilled reference librarians.
USGS Topographic Map Printing
USGS Topographic Maps of Montana, Idaho, Alaska, and Wyoming are available through a customizable print-on-demand program in the library's Audra Browman Room. The 11x17 maps are $2 on standard paper and $3 on weatherproof paper. Stop by the Reference Desk for more information.
Missoula Public Library and the Western Montana Astronomy Association (WMAA) have partnered to provide telescopes for the public to check out from the library. These telescopes are available for check out by reservation system. Call the reference desk at (406) 721-2665 to make your reservation for up to a week.
Missoula Public Library now provides binoculars for checkout in two different sizes. Contact the reference desk for more information.
Want to know how much juice those appliances are using? Find out by checking out this helpful gadget.