MPL has a wealth of resources available for the dedicated genealogist.
Our genealogy collection is the most developed in the state for genealogy information on Missoula County, Lake County, Granite County, Mineral County, Sanders County, Ravalli County, and to a lesser degree Lincoln County. Genealogists should also refer to our extensive Montana Collection, located in the Audra Browman Room.
Stop by the Reference Desk for help with our genealogy resources, long distance research assistance, and other genealogy inquiries.
Visit the Genealogy & Family History page for free access to a wealth of family research assistance online.
The Audra Browman Room's genealogy collection includes a dedicated Genealogy and Map computer. This computer is reserved solely for this type of specialized research and contains helpful links, death indexes, map software, free access to Ancestry.com, HeritageQuest, and more!
The print genealogy collection includes a variety of local, regional, and national resources, including:
- Index to the Vital Records listed in the Missoulian and limited regional newspapers
- Detailed cemetery information for:
- Missoula County (1869 to 1999 vol. 1)
- Missoula County (1869 to 1999 vol. 2)
- Missoula County (2000 to date vol. 1)
- Missoula County (2000 to date vol. 2)
- Sanders County (1894 to 1999)
- Sanders County (2000 to date)
- Mineral County (1893 to 1999)
- Mineral County (2000 to date)
- Lake County (1845 to 1999)
- Lake County (2000 to date)
- Granite County (1869 to date)
- Ravalli County (1893 to 1999)
- Ravalli County (2000 to date)
- Lincoln County (1890 to 1999)
- Lincoln County (2000 to date)
- Index of the Upper Swan Valley Homestead Claims
- Senyelemen - "gathering" of sacred records of the Sqelix (people) 1910-1960 (Sanders and Lake Counties)
- Sanders County Armed Services Personnel, 1917-1949
- First Families of Montana and Early Settlers
- Norske i Montana (3v), Norwegians in Montana
- Blackfeet Nation Family History (5 v.)
- Montana Genealogical Society Newsletters
- Everton's Genealogical Helper
- Everton's Family History Magazine
- Heritage Quest Magazine
- Heritage Review (HGFR)
- Idaho Genealogical Society Quarterly (1958-1984)
- Internet Genealogy