Everything you need to know about your Missoula Public Library card and account information.
How to Get a Library Card
A Missoula Public Library card is available to any resident of the State of Montana. You can begin your application process online or visit any branch of MPL to do it in person. To complete the process you must provide:
- valid photo identification
- proof of address–usually a postmarked envelope, such as a bill.
- Patrons under the age of 15 must have a parent or guardian’s permission to apply for a library card.
- Patrons without a permanent place of residence can apply for a limited use library card and check out up to two items until they have settled in Montana.
- Visitors to Missoula may qualify for a temporary library card. Ask a staff person for more information.
- Group cards are available to qualifying organizations.
Once you have a library card, you will be able to check out items from MPL. With full privileges, you can check out an unlimited number of items. And your MPL library card can be used at any of our Partner libraries across the state of Montana!
To complete your registration, connect with a staff person at the library or call (406)721-2665.
Library Card FAQs
We can mail you a self-addressed postcard, which you return to us to receive full privileges.
Library cards are free. It will cost $1.00 to replace your card, though, if you lose it.
Missoula Public Library is a fine-free library and does not charge for overdue items!
You may be charged, however, for items you have kept well beyond their due date. These items are considered lost and you will have to pay a full replacement fee for items you don’t return. We also charge fees for items that are returned damaged. We will accept good condition copies of lost or damaged items, though.
You can update your account by logging into the MPL catalog. Complete the Change of Address request form and submit it to MPL. Staff will update your account with the new contact information you provide. You can also update your account by calling us at (406)721-2665 or visiting your nearest branch.
Your PIN is the 4-digit number you chose when registering for a library card. If you cannot remember your PIN, call us at (406)721-2665 and we will remind you what it is once we’ve confirmed your identity. Alternatively, you can select the Forgot My Pin option when logging into your library account through the MPL catalog. We will send your PIN to the email address you gave us when registering.
There are several ways to find out what items you currently have checked out and their due dates.
· Log into your account through the MPL catalog.
· Register for the Shoutbomb text messaging service. You can request a list of your check outs, renew items, and get notifications from MPL.
· Download the Montana Shared Catalog app, a smart phone app that gives you access to both your account information and our catalog so that you can place holds on library items.
· Call us at (406)721-2665. A staff person will be happy to help you.
Call us at (406)721-2665. A staff person will investigate what is going on and find a solution to the problem. You can help us out by double-checking that the items in question are not still in your possession. If you have lost the item, you can pay a replacement cost or we will accept a good condition copy. Staff can tell you more about this option.
If you believe you have lost your library card, call (406)721-2665 immediately and staff will put a block on your card. No one will be able to use your card until you find it again. If you are sure your card is lost, MPL will give you a new library card. There is a $1.00 fee for replacement cards, however.
Your MPL library card gives you access to over 400,000 items to check out. Many of these items are owned by our Partner libraries across the state of Montana. You can place a hold on an item through our catalog, through the Montana Shared Catalog app, or by giving us a call.
Holds can take anywhere from one day to a few months before they are available to pick up. It all depends on where the item is currently located and whether or not someone else is ahead of you in the line to check it out.
You will be contacted when your hold is ready to pick up if you have done one of the following:
· Provided us with your home phone number
· Provided us with your email address
· Signed up for Shoutbomb, the text notification service
· Downloaded the Montana Shared Catalog app and check your account regularly
You are welcome to call us at (406)721-2665 if you want to know where you are in the waiting list for a hold or how long it will take for your item to be available.